20080402

I'm writing this from a semi-stable region of consciousness between adequate pain control and drug-induced fogginess.

It's been two days since my stem cell infusion, since Day 0. A few of the nurses and techs said something interesting that day, "happy birthday."
It's oddly appropriate if you think about it.
I have had a life-threatening illness. In order to treat it, we have had to resort to a heavy-handed treatment, a treatment that will kill you. The stem cell transplant enables life to renew, enables health to be restored at all.

When this is done, I will have undergone technological death and resurrection; born again by the power of science.

1 comment:

Sra said...

It's rather profound when you put it that way, isn't it?

I'm sorry I haven't visited in several days. I was going to try to come by today, but if I don't make it, I'm off work on Friday, so I'll for sure drop in then.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Additionally, for clarification I grant that "unauthorized commercial use" generally only applies if the work itself is the object of exchange, and specifically that a site with click-through or advertising income is welcome to share it (attrib, no-deriv, otherwise non-com), so long as the work shared is openly available to all and not subject to sale or paid access. Any elements of my works that might be original to others are Fair Use, and you are left to your own to make sure your own use of them is likewise.