20080718

readin'ritin'ncombinatorics

I am constrained by conventional language in trying to write.
Any idea, inspired by what I've seen or done or read or a conversation I've had, becomes a cascade of parallel inter-referencing verbal and nonverbal thoughts. Often several of these lead to linear things I'd like to say or write out, but the feedback continues and I often find I've gone through an inner turn of phrase that may never recur. Sometimes I can bring them back. And sometimes I sit to write them down and find the perfect words aren't there anymore.

Thinking is like an abstracted drug.

Yeah, it's just another blogosphere-clogging post from a would-be writer on the topic of writer's block. Mostly. Sort of.

1 comment:

Sra said...

I have an extra mini tape recorder if you want one. Sometimes the best thing to do is just say what you're thinking into the tape. Of course sometimes thoughts don't covert to speech any better than they do to writing.

Anyway, I try not to think too much when I'm writing a blog. My best stuff just comes out naturally. Sometimes there's still a block though, and I have to force it.

I say better to write something shitty and keep the words coming than write nothing at all.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Additionally, for clarification I grant that "unauthorized commercial use" generally only applies if the work itself is the object of exchange, and specifically that a site with click-through or advertising income is welcome to share it (attrib, no-deriv, otherwise non-com), so long as the work shared is openly available to all and not subject to sale or paid access. Any elements of my works that might be original to others are Fair Use, and you are left to your own to make sure your own use of them is likewise.